Monday, October 17, 2011

Master It Monday -- Downloading Kits and Opening them

I know this may be second nature for many of you, so bear with me. I was helping a friend with her very first digi layout last week (over the phone) and she was grabbing some things from my store to use. I just assumed that she knew how to get the products from the store and opened so that she could use them. I had forgotten that in the beginning of my digi scrapping, I had to learn how to download and unzip products so that I could use them. I do it almost every day now, so it is more than second nature. So it was an eye opener for me that she did not "just know" how to do this. That is is why I wanted to write this tutorial.
I will be showing how to download products from Ahhh Scraps (since it is my store :) ). But the steps will be similar for most shops. For this tutorial, I am using my free "Tutorial Template" (it includes a template and instructions on how to use templates). You can click on the title to be taken right to my shop to grab it. So go ahead and add it to your cart. To check out you with either need to log in or register with Ahhh Scraps (it is free). This will require an email and your name. It is best to use your real name and email so that if you have any issues with orders, the store administration can easily find your order history for you. Ahhh Scraps DOES NOT share your info with any others.Link
Once you complete the checkout process, you will see this screen. Click on the download button. If this screen does not come up, you can click on the "My Account" in the red bar and be taken to a record of your orders. If you have more than one product in your order, you will need to click on the download button for each item. Generally I only do three downloads at a time, just to make sure it downloads ok.When you click on the download button, it will open a download window. Make sure that "Save File" is selected and click ok.
In windows vista or 7 you will have a download window that will show you the progress of you download. The one pictured is complete. Windows will save the downloads directly to your "Downloads Folder."
If you are not familiar with where your download folder is you can generally find it here: C:\Users\USERNAME\Downloads (USERNAME is your personal username on your computer, in my case, Teri). The stack of books in the image is the zipped file of the product. Mine appears like this because I use WinRAR for zipping/unzipping. Vista and Windows 7 come with an unzip application. You icon of the zipped folder will look like a folder with a zipper. I like to right click on the zipped file, the choose extract files.
This opens an option window that allows me to choose where I save the unzipped folder to and what it is called (the dropdown arrow in the red circle). It also creates a new folder that it saves the products in so that you are sure they all stay together.


See, now I have an unzipped folder and my zipped folder. I always like to check my unzipped folder and be sure that all of the products are good before I move or get rid of my zipped folder. I also keep a folder on my desktop for saving/moving all of my downloaded and unzipped scrapbooking product in. This makes it easy to find when I am scrapbooking.If you do not have a third part unzipping software, then you can just double click on the file and unzip it. You can then move it to your scrapbooking folder.


Besides the unzip application that come with your computer and WinRAR, another popular application is 7-Zip.

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking some of you valuable time to leave a comment. They truly motivate me to keep creating.

You Might Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails